Wednesday, January 21, 2015

JALAPENO SALT AND PEPPER



My family is addicted to jalapeno salt and pepper
It's delicious on just about everything.. the first time I made some I added salt to keep it from clumping but adding extra salt to some foods wasn't a healthy idea so I now make some with black pepper too and this is working out great..
Use the jalapeno salt when cooking and the jalapeno pepper on already salted foods.
The other day I found some nice looking jalapenos at a local Mexican store for 99 cents a pound and I bought 11 pounds of them.

Cut into long slices and dried in my Excalibur dehydrator over night at 135 degrees

I use my herb/coffee grinder and after I fill each salt shaker half full I top one off with salt and the other with black pepper then I dump each one back in the grinder for a quick pulse to make sure their blended.
A word of warning 
be sure you wear a face mask when doing this because the fine powder will get breathed into your nose.. when you take the lid off the grinder it looks like a green cloud floating up and around you.
 if you don't own a mask then wrap a wet rag around your face.

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! Thank you so much. My son would absolutely love this. I can't wait to try it. Should I dry the jalapenos in the same dehydrater that I use for everything else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yup, same dehydrator, the peppers do not stink up the house or the dehydrator

      Delete
  2. Can I use my oven on 170 degrees to dehydrate the peppers?

    ReplyDelete