Friday, September 5, 2014


HOMEMADE CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP.. and a slice of rich dark artisan bread.. it just doesn't get much better then that.
Have you noticed how the cost has gone up for cream soups?  Even Aldi is now charging 79 cents a can.. that's pure highway robbery considering cream soup is nothing more then a seasoned white gravy.

I'm not going to give you a recipe, you can find them all over the net, you name it, cream of chicken, cream of celery etc.  If you know how to make white gravy then you're well on the way to creating your own cream soups.

If you come across those sites that tell you how to make bulk cream soup mix by mixing butter and flour together and storing it in the fridge.. I say "skip on by"  go to the ones that show you how to make it by starting with a roux like you make your gravy.  In fact if you're a pro at making white gravy then all you need to look up is the seasoning part.. such as beef broth in mushroom, chicken broth and poultry seasoning for chicken etc.

Maybe about now you're thinking "I don't have mushrooms or cooked chopped chicken on hand all the time"  If you plan ahead you can.. I made this from frozen mushrooms I had in the freezer.. when mushrooms go on sale I buy a bunch, slice, saute and freeze them in half cup pouches.. I also do a lot of grinding my own chicken meat and I fry some up to freeze in pouches for things like this.
Cream of celery shouldn't be a problem either.. I've always got sliced frozen celery in the freezer.

Here's a link to a general idea of how to make it.. I would cut the flour back to two tablespoons per cup of liquid or you're going to have one heck of a thick soup.  If it's soup I'm planning to eat then I use one tablespoon flour per cup of liquid, for gravy I use two tablespoons flour per liquid.
Lets face it, most times you open a can of cream soup you add water or milk to thin it down so why torture yourself by making it thick and then having to dilute it.. get it right from the beginning.
Basic cream soup

I would love to hear from you if you make your own cream soups or if you try it for the first time and how you feel about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment